I've been wanting to blog about the end of my season, but then I was sick and tired when I got home, then I had surgery and they drugged me up and I'm pretty sure whatever I wrote, should not be published. So instead lets hear it for what I've learned 6 days post-op.
There are many things in life I have taken for granted and things I've since learned after having surgery. Here's a small list
- Bending over to pick my pants up after going to the bathroom. #1 thing I have taken for granted prior to surgery. Seriously, when those pants fall past my knees it's like a 9 month pregnant women trying to tie her shoes (or what I would imagine it's like, because...I've never been pregnant). Or how about just putting pants on in general. A little help please?
- Walking. Until you have to crutch around, ugh I miss walking, and bounding up steps, but thank goodness for ADL ramps
- Getting in and out of bed. Really, I can't do it on my own...for at least another 3 weeks. All ROM in my right hip is PASSIVE. That means absolutely no muscle contraction (except for some slight isometrics with my PT).
- My house is messy and dirty, and that's just how it's going to be. I'm OCD. My pants are dropped anywhere I can manage to get them off, my sheets are dirty because I eat in bed. I mean, Chris is just feeding the messy monster in the guest bedroom.
- This one is personal, but it's REAL. Pooping. Seriously. If someone didn't tell you, pain meds keep the poop in your system. It's not very comfortable, I went the laxative route. In case you're wondering, they work.
- When you've prepared yourself mentally to literally do nothing, doing nothing is actually a lot easier than you thought. 6 days in, and so far I'm okay.
- I will never be a drug addict. Apparently I like to be in control? Those drugs do not make me feel good.
- I seriously miss sleeping on my side. #2 thing in life I have taken for granted. My butt is sore.
- Personal hygiene- showering isn't enjoyable when you're terrified of slipping and breaking your hip. It's a thing, they scared me at the pre-op appointment. Since the surgeon shaved the femur down, the bone is weak right now, and if you fall there's a possibility of breaking your hip. Also, since I'm non-weight bearing, trying showering on mainly 1 leg, and being terrified of slipping. It's no longer this enjoyable part of my day. So I've avoided it, and only showered 1x so far. :-)
I'm happy to report so far I'm doing okay, mentally at least. I've had 2 days of PT, my bruising is pretty minimal, my incisions look good, there is swelling, but I think it's not too bad. Today was the first day I haven't woken up in pain, so I think that's a good sign! I have an acupuncture appointment tomorrow and my post-op as well. It's going to be a big day! I hope the doctor has good things to say about my recovery thus far. Until then...happy reading!